Thursday, December 17, 2009

Some people seem to think that just because a particular work is bad, that it's inherently not worth watching. Well, I have to disagree with this sentiment and would like to point out that a lot of works in all media considered "bad" can be enjoyable not despite their badness, but because of it. Enter the classic phrase "so bad it's good".

One of the most interesting things about works that qualify for "so bad it's good" status is that sometimes, works deliberately go out of their way to achieve such a distinction.

This is where I'm a little on the fence. Should works focus solely on entertaining audiences, even if it does do by being "so bad it's good", or should integrity come into play as well?

This is a tough call for me, but if I had to decide, I would say that entertainment is the primary purpose, and if a work has to resort to "so bad it's good" tactics to accomplish that, that's just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment